Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Changes

As an update from my last blog, My father finally decided on which job he was going to take. I personally feel he made a great decision. He is finally out of the blue collar work and finally doing something that fits his personality more.

Now knowing that my family is slowly on the right path to being financially stable, I decided that going away to school next semester might not be a bad idea. I completely understand that no parent can honestly pay out of pocket for the school I plan on attending. Therefore I decided the only help I would like from my parents would be the deposit for room and board and spending money.

Going away to school requires a lot of saving and cutting back on needless spending. This way I will had money to spend when I truly need it. In Roth's Blog for money tips, The blog not only covers money management but also organization skills and decision making. Here are a few tips I felt everyone could find useful:

  • Track your spending (via notebook, notepad, etc)
  • Avoid getting a credit card (unless it is needed)
  • Try to not hang out with big spenders
  • Learn to invest
  • Buy used textbooks 
  • Stay active and eat healthy
Tips such as these are simple to follow and can help you save while still enjoying a similar lifestyle. Everyone makes a sacrifice, whether it be on spending or saving. 

In an article by John Fuller, He goes over 10 tips for saving at college. Some of these tips I feel could be used in everyday life such as:

  • Seek alternative transportation 
  • Be creative with your free time (You don't have to spend money to have fun)
  • Get the right cell phone plan (Don't pay for something you don't need)
  • If a student, Get a free student checking (Most banks still have this account available)
When money is tight, it can be difficult to tell yourself or someone that they really don't need certain items. For example, having an iPhone, Its a great phone to have but it is also very expensive with all the add ons. Another example could be the choice of clothes purchased. 


Sometimes it is the smallest things that can be the most beneficial. With these simple tips, everyone can save  while still maintaining a consistent lifestyle. 


References: 


Fuller, John. How Stuff Works. Discovery Company. Web. 18 March 2012.

3 comments:

  1. I was considering going to a private four year college but it turned out to be too expensive, so like your blog says it is time to change and save money. I am considering going to a public four year school now within within traveling distance to save money.

    Thank you for putting hyperlink that directs me to Roth's blog so I could look at more in depth tips on how to save money as a college student. Perhaps you could also add just one more link to the article by John Fuller just for ease of reference for the reader.
    I also thought that the bullet points were great because I could easily find where the tips were.

    I am glad that things are starting to come together for you and your family. I hope that your desire to go away for school next semester works out perfectly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you Steph! I think you are making the right decision on going away to college! I think you need to get away from here and have fun at Ferrum! I will be sure that I come and visit you because I am going to miss you a lot!
    I also think its great that your parents are getting good jobs and are finacially stable, because I know it is really hard paying for college.
    I am going to keep in mind some of those tips because they seem really helpful and you could save a lot of money. I really enjoyed your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both for the feedback! i have now added a hyperlink to fullers blog therefore everyone can view the blog. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete