Monday, February 27, 2012

Patience

In the beginning of my blogs, I discussed how my father was unemployed and how it seemed no matter how many resumes he sent out, nothing was coming back. Finally last week my dad started getting calls for interviews. This was the greatest news for my family.


Since money has been tight for the family, I thought the least I could do was drive my dad to all his interviews as long as I wasn't working or missing class. I feel like because I have two incomes and less bills to pay that this is my way of helping out my family.


I recently took him to two different companies which I have a great feeling about. The only problem is it seems that now that he is finally getting calls and interviews, he is becoming overwhelmed. My mom and I have constantly told my dad to take the job that he feels he will enjoy and also pays a decent amount. 


Another thing when being offered multiple jobs is to really look into the position they are offering. My dad is skilled in multiple areas, therefore he applied to a broad range of jobs throughout the last 6 months. By looking at the position you are being offered this helps you determine if you will be happy within that field of work and always research the company in which you are interviewing with.


When making a decision on whether you want to accept or decline the job remember this:

  • Commute time
  • Benefits
  • Flexibility of work schedule
  • Work culture
  • Company stability
  • Opportunity for advancement
  • Level of responsiblity 
These factors can really make or break the decision on whether taking a certain job is the right choice for you. I feel that the most important thing when looking for a job should be the stability of the company. This is mainly because the economy has been hot and cold. The last thing to look for is the work culture because that should not be the determining factor. 


Tips such as the ones listed above can be viewed on All Star Resume's blog. They are very helpful for anyone who is looking for a job or career.



Keep your fingers crossed for my dad! I feel like everything that has happened, he truly deserves a decent job.


References: 


Burt, Erin. "How to choose the right job". kiplinger. 19 Apr 2007. Web. 23 Apr 2012. 

1 comment:

  1. I am not trying to be a "Nosy Parker" here, but I wonder: what industry is your dad in?

    What if you did an interview post and did some back-and-forth about how the process went? I think that would be fascinating and a great addition to a blog about unemployment!

    I will absolutely be sending good thoughts your dad's way!

    ReplyDelete