Monday, February 20, 2012

Moving Away

Being at a community college, we as student do really miss out on a lot of "college experiences". I have nothing against NOVA and I feel that going here my freshman year was a smart idea financially. After much debate I realized that living as home is not how I ever pictured my college experience. With that said, I have decided that transferring this upcoming year might be a good idea for me (Truth Exposed Pub). 


The only problem is I'm terrified to tell my mom. She puts so much pressure on me to get my associates at NOVA then transfer to a 4 year university. I understand money is tight and no one wants to take out loans but honestly I know for me I'm only hurting myself if I continue to stay at home. 


After speaking to an adviser, She gave me great advice on how to go about transferring and getting grants and scholarships. I know I would never transfer if in the end I"ll be drowning in debt but with the amount of schools in Virginia, I am bound to find a school that is financially manageable. 


Community does have many advantages for most students who are unsure of their major or what school they really want to go to. Plus at most community colleges, students have the comfort of living at home where they feel the safest (Zimmerman). Another positive about community college is that most students can still maintain a part-time job, which makes it easier to save money.


However, It is not for everyone. It takes a lot to watch everyone you know go off to school while you stay home. In a sense I feel like I haven't really done anything since graduation.


Starting this week, I will be applying to a few schools. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Once I receive letters, I'll tell my mom only because I may not transfer this upcoming fall and there is no need to worry that old woman. Wish me luck!


References:


Truth Exposed Pub Staff. (n.d.). Hot Pages. Retrieved Feb 2012, 2012, from Truth Exposed Pub. 
Zimmerman, B. (2008, Sept 12). Community College Rising in Popularity. Retrieved Feb 20, 2012, from NuWire Investor.


2 comments:

  1. I hear you, and you make a lot of sense. And so does your mom! In the end you have to find the right balance of finances/freedom. Are you contributing now to your home expenses? This might be another reason why your mom could be stressed out?

    I tell my students to do a cost comparison: calculate the for-hour costs of the associates at NOVA then the 3+ years in transfer. Add interest. And then think that many students have to go to graduate school to get into their desired field.

    I wish you luck with your big decisions--and maybe you could create an upcoming post that shows scholarships and grants that you have researched that would fit your situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%, I really want to transfer next semester also but I know my mom is going to freak out when I tell her! We have been talking about this for a long time now, and I am glad you are starting to apply for colleges now. I think I should just start appyling too and just tell my mom after I have finished applying. But I will be sad when you leave me! :( I am sure will get in to ferrum. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete