Sunday, February 12, 2012

Want or Need?

For some, it can be hard to determine what a need and want are. We also sometimes confuse the fact that a need is something you cannot live without. For example this includes food and shelter. A want may include wanting an ice cream for dessert or a t.v. which is used solely for entertainment (Art Today).


Being a full time student, I feel that I need a laptop but the want includes what type of laptop I purchase. My family does share 1 laptop between four people, it can be very frustrating and difficult and find a time when it is available. 


This brought me to thinking how much easier school could be if I purchased my own laptop. Some reasons why I decided this was a good idea include:

  • Laptops are portable, which means I do not have to be home in order to do my homework. 
  • By owning my own, I do not have to worry about files being deleted or my younger brother allowing a virus on the laptop.
  • With the laptop, I could not have to worry about finding an open seat in the computer lab, or the printers not working when it is needed most.
  • Its an investment, Laptops can last for years and knowing I plan to transfer soon, I'll need something so I do not have to rely on others.
Thankfully I have been saving money for a laptop for quite some time and I also receive my unused FASFA money every semester. My main concern with purchasing something so pricey is the risk of something happening to it and also my family does not understand boundaries.

Even though I love my family, They have the worst luck with an electronic device, Especially my father. I'd love to know if I should stick it out through this semester by sharing or use my FASFA check to buy myself a laptop. 

Even though money is very tight, sometimes It is needed to spend a little in order to get a lot in return which I see as my education.

References:

White, David. Want Vs. Need: Basic Economics. Art Today. 2001-2002. Web 12 Feb 2012.


5 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100 percent! I think that every college should have a laptop. I know it must be hard sharing one laptop, but at least you are saving your money so you can your MacBook! Just a little longer until you get it. I just don’t know how you do it, I feel like I would get really frustrated with my family, only having one laptop! But I give you a lot of credit for being able to get all of your homework done on that one laptop that your whole family uses. Once you get your MacBook you won’t have to worry about using that one laptop. I know you can’t wait until you get it, because you always tell me how excited you are to get it! So I hope everything works out, and I hope you will be able to get your laptop soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand where you are coming from with the laptop situation. I have been there and done that. I have been sharing a desk top for years with my family and indeed it can be a very frustrating thing when everyone is on the computer. Whenever I had to get on the computer and do homework it was an argument almost every day. Once I got my FASFA check I spent it on a very good laptop wasn’t too much and wasn’t too cheap. Once I got my laptop it alleviated so many things especially the arguing over getting on a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really interesting post because it highlights the issues surrounding students in the 21st century. Do you get what you want? Here's another question that I actually don't want an answer to, but I think it revolves around issues of finance. What are you doing with all the leftover financial aid? Can you adjust that financial aid to get the minimum you need so that when you have to begin paying it back, you have less to pay back at interest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand that sharing a laptop must be hard. I have a little sister and every time I let her borrow something it comes back broken or lost no matter what it is. I think it would be extremely hard to be a fulltime student and never know for sure if the computer will be free or not. However, on the positive side you don’t have time to mess around and get distracted on the internet. You just focus on getting your work done.

    ReplyDelete